Why is the attendance of your child so important...
Pakefield High School is committed to providing an education of the highest quality for all students and recognises this can only be achieved by supporting and promoting excellent attendance for all. This is based on the belief that only by attending the school regularly and punctually will students and young people be able to take full advantage of the educational opportunities available to them. High attainment depends on good attendance.
Research also shows the positive impact that good attendance has on the academic achievement of students - those with 95% attendance or higher stand a very good chance of securing high GCSE grades. If attendance drops below 90%, this chance reduces by half.
The prime responsibility for ensuring students receive an appropriate and full-time education rests with parent/carers (defined by the Education Act 1996 as those with parental responsibility and those who have the care of a student), who will be supported and encouraged by Pakefield High School.
Therefore, Pakefield High School expects parents/carers to:
- Make sure their child arrives at the school on time – 8.25am for 8.30am start of tutor time;
- Ensure that their child attends the school regularly and contacts the school with an explanation if s/he is absent*
- Support their child’s attendance by keeping requests for absence to a minimum;
- Not expect the school to automatically agree any requests for absence, and not condone unjustified absence from the school;
- Make sure their child brings to the school whatever they need for the day (e.g. P.E. kit, pens and pencils, etc.);
- Ensure that their child wear Pakefield High School uniform in line with the school policy;
- Attend progress evenings to discuss their child’s progress;
- Share with the school any problems or concerns which might affect their child’s behaviour or work;
- Encourage their child to always do their best in the school;
- Actively support their child in homework and other opportunities for home learning;
- Support Pakefield High School’s policies and guidelines for behaviour.
*Pakefield High School will follow a thorough protocol of challenging daily attendance.
Please see the system which is followed below to allow school to maintain high levels of attendance for your child to ensure they are here, accessing their education.